Friday, October 13, 2017

Getting Rid of the Excuses and Pressing On


Last night, we went to church. The sermon was in Arabic, which, despite all my lessons, I still can't understand too well. Fortunately, one of the ladies posted the interpretation on the screen in English. As you can well imagine, that's much better than having the words to the songs.

There was a phrase the pastor used that caught my attention. He preached from Acts 16 and talked about the hard times the apostle Paul went through and how he never gave up, but kept on trying. 

"Do not make excuses, but complete inviting people about Jesus," he said. I had to ponder those words a bit. 

When we share Jesus with someone, it's an invitation to know Him, of course. It's so easy to make excuses like, "I'm too busy" or "Will this person be unhappy that I tell them about Jesus?" or "What will it cost me?" Those excuses can easily stop us in our tracks and cause us to abandon our efforts too soon. 

Get rid of the excuses, the pastor said, and just do what God expects of you, including completing what you start. Especially if what you've started is sharing about Jesus.

"Finally," he said, "Don't look for excuses while serving...but have as your aim to glorify God by all you do."

I've spent some time thinking about the excuses I use for not doing more in serving God: Not enough time. Too much happening right now. Don't know what to say. Don't feel comfortable. My list goes on and on, doesn't yours? 

Today, let's take a close look at the excuses we use for not completing our service to God, then get rid of them. If Paul, despite all the hardships he faced, could persevere, surely we, who live in such ease and luxury, can do the same.

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14 niv
_______________
If you'd like to share in my current experiences, you can join me for mostly-daily email updates. Please message me with your name and/or email address. I'll update as I have internet access. (I will not be able to share most stories on the blog.)

Please join us for corporate prayer at 12 noon daily. 

In case you missed the most recent post, here the link: When the Fragrance in the Air Smells Like Home

If you feel led to partner with this ministry, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

You can also mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.

No comments:

Post a Comment