Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Shouting Scripture and the Author Who Didn't Want to Write


I know the Bible isn't written for humor, but every once in a while, I read something that makes me laugh out loud. 

This morning, I opened my laptop to write a blog, but time was short because I had a meeting in less than two hours and I didn't have a topic. Jet lag had finally hit and I was tired. 

I thought I was too tired to write. 

I also have final edits to complete and an agent-proposal to write for my first novel. 

I thought I was too tired to do that, too. 

Since it's always better to open Scripture first before I write a blog, that's what I did. My first verse was James 1:22. "Be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only." I learned that verse as a little girl and it's ingrained in me. 

I'm a doer. 

Today, however, I followed the link to the Greek word study for "doer" and found the literal translation. 

"Maker, producer, author." 

I laughed out loud. 

"Be an author," the Scripture shouted to me. 

Apparently, I'm not too tired to write, after all. 

If we want to hear from God, the first place we should go is Scripture. It's alive and active and sharper than a two-edged sword. God whispers there. 

Sometimes, like today, He shouts.

Do you, like me, need to hear from God? Do you need clear direction? A fresh Word? The best way to have that is to open your Bible and read until He speaks.

Hearing Him speak is not all that's required. Doing what He speaks is essential if we hope to have another Word of direction. 

If I don't write, I can be pretty sure God will be quiet until I finally do what He says.

Today, I'll write.

Let's take careful note of what God has already said and do it, then wait quietly for His next direction. 

"For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between join and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires." Hebrews 4:12 nlt 
________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Loving My Way Out

I'm sharing about my Jordan Journey at a brunch April 1 at 10:30-12 at Global Outreach home office, 74 Kings Highway, Pontotoc MS. Comment or message me if you'd like to come.

If God has called you to help with this ministry of digital and in-person outreach (both in the US and around the world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 or you can mail your check or money order to:
Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#Jesus 




No comments:

Post a Comment