Friday, March 31, 2017

The Rosemary Reminder and the Precious Memories


Rosemary always makes me think of the Middle East. 

In Israel and in Jordan, rosemary's used as a border plant, in the same way boxwoods are used here. When I was there recently, it was in full, extravagant bloom. As I walked back and forth from my building at the conference center, the fragrance of the bushes filled the air. 

Traditionally, rosemary is considered the herb of memory. The leaves are believed to quicken the mind and prevent forgetfulness. If you google the health benefits of rosemary, you'll find an extensive list, most of which is probably not true. Still, I like to cook and make tea with it.

In the rambling way that my mind works, pulling the leaves off the rosemary branches makes me think of memory, which makes me think of remembering things... You know how it goes.

I'm harvesting rosemary to make tea, so my sink is full of fragrant branches. This morning, I had to move the rosemary to get to my coffee pot. Cup in hand, I opened the Psalms and the flood of memories stopped me in my tracks. 

There was a date and "Ryan" in the margin by Psalm 31:14-15. "Deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me." I'd prayed those verses for Ryan when kids at school bullied him. Remembering how God delivered him made me smile.

There's a date and the name of a friend by Psalm 34:5. "They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed." We prayed these verses when her husband made a very public moral error that caused equally public condemnation. Remembering how God brought them both through their disaster, stronger than they were at the start, also made me smile.

There are several dates by Psalm 35:1. "Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me..." My friend and I have prayed this verse many times during the fifteen years we've been prayer partners... for our children, for ourselves. The verse is a precious reminder that, every single time, God has contended with the ones who were contending with us.

This morning, my quiet time has been filled with precious memories of the faithfulness of God and with thanksgiving for all the prayers He's answered, all the ways He's moved.

What about you? How has God answered your prayers? What Scripture promise has He fulfilled in your life?

If you're like me, you have an abundance of "gimme prayers" you could pray. Today, though, let's take some time to remember all God has done and celebrate the goodness of our King. He neither slumbers nor sleeps but always sees, always knows, always loves.

"Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things He does for me." Psalm 103:2 nlt
__________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: When Church Breaks Out and Intercession Begins


*** I'm sharing about my Jordan Journey at a brunch on Saturday. It's interactive with multiple "stations" to check out. We'll sample Jordanian food and hear stories from my trip. April 1 at 10:30-12 at Global Outreach home office, 74 Kings Highway, Pontotoc MS. You're all invited. Comment or message me if you'd like to come.***


If God has called you to help with this ministry of digital and in-person outreach (both in the US and around the world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 or you can mail your check or money order to:
Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#Jesus 

No comments:

Post a Comment