Wednesday, February 8, 2017

What to Do If We Want More Jesus



This morning, as I scrolled through previous blog posts, my New Year's Day post caught my eye. Some of my Facebook friends had posted their "word of the year" for 2017. They'd chosen everything from Courage to Dare, from Adventure to Healing. I didn't know people had a word for the year, but I decided my word would be Jesus, and I penned theses lines: "To have more Jesus, there will have to be less Leanna. Less pride. Less selfishness. Less whining. Less grumbling. 

"My 2017: Less me. More Him."

As I read these words this morning, I laughed out loud. I didn't realize it at the time, but the James study was about to deliver less of Leanna. 

His words are completely straightforward. Misunderstanding is impossible. 

"God is opposed to the proud.... " (4:6) 

"Where jealously and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing..." (3:16)  

"The tongue is a fire..." (3:6) 

Need I continue?

James has nailed my sinful self with his words. I find that my heart has more black sin in it than I imagined, and I am sick of it. Sick of my sin.

The love of money may be the root of all evil, but I'm pretty sure pride is tied up in there somewhere. 

God is opposed to the proud. 

Those are sobering words. I don't want Him to be opposed to me, so pride has to go. When I searched for "pride" in my blogger control panel today, I found that I've written about pride 86 times. How sad is that? 86 times and still not done with it.

One of my mentoring partners and I spent considerable time on our knees yesterday praying about this very thing. Our need for control comes from pride. When we think our way is always best, it's because of pride. When we are frustrated because people don't see things "our" way, it's pride again... 

Pride is so pervasive, in our churches, in our culture, that we've come to see it as natural. As normal. But it's not. 

Pride offends God. Defies Him. Rejects Him. To put it mildly, He is not about to put up with pride in our hearts.

If we plan to serve Him, pride has to go.

Once again, I've confessed my sin and repented. I hope it's for the last time, because I feel considerably better without it.

What about your heart? What sin lurks there? Why are you hanging onto it? Today, let's confess the sin God already knows about, repent, and ask Him to remove it. 

If we want more Jesus, the sin has to go.
________________
This ministry of prayer and outreach (digital and in-person) is only possible because of the generosity of your support. Literally, I don't get a salary until there are enough donations to cover it. If you'd like to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: This is How We Know We Belong To Jesus 
#pride #Jesus 

No comments:

Post a Comment