Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Pauses That Refresh


The perfect day, at least for me, is any day spent with my son. The next-most-perfect day is one spent at my farm. Much of that time is on the screened porch, writing, the Wonder Dogs at my side and a pot of tea on the warmer, topped off  by time rambling in the woods with the dogs. 

I don't have enough of those days anymore, but I treasure them when they come. They're rest to me, a kind of pause that refreshes. 

I looked at Luke 4 this morning and was reminded of another pause that refreshed. After Jesus finished his forty-day wilderness retreat and the devilish temptation that followed, an unexpected thing happened. 

The devil gave Him a break. 

When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time. (Luke 4:13 NASB)

That always surprises me. When I'm doing what I love to do, I can happily work sixteen hours days, and often do. I don't know why the evil one gave Jesus a break, or why he sometimes gives us a break, but I'm glad he does.

The reality for disciples is that temptations will come our way. There'll be seasons of severe temptation when, without the grace of God, we would surely succumb. 

There'll also be the pause that refreshes, when the enemy leaves us until a more opportune time.

Our job during those pauses is to dig deep in the Word of God, spend time with our Lord, and gain strength for the next round of battles. 

There's another pause designed to refresh, and I'm not always the best at taking advantage of it. The Sabbath Rest isn't a suggestion by God to weary travelers. It's a command to His people. 

Take a break every week. 

Don't work at all. 

Focus on God. 

In case you're wondering, this God-designed holy break is a beautiful piece of health maintenance and faith maintenance. 

Today, let's do what God says. Be still. Focus on Him. Stop all our work. Rest. Recharge. Refresh. 

It's not a suggestion. It's a command.

"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy." Exodus 20:8 nasb
___________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Why Dropping the Drama is One of the Best Decisions of All
#Jesus #rest

No comments:

Post a Comment