Friday, February 24, 2017

The High Maintenance Missionary


I emailed Dianne at the church. "Your high maintenance missionary here with another need," I wrote, and explained why I needed prayer. 

As you might imagine, some of the most incredible needs imaginable come my way. I can't bear all the burdens alone, so I constant turn to the body of Christ, inviting them to help me shoulder the load.

They always do.

Later, I confessed to a friend that I'd begun to feel like a high maintenance missionary, always needing prayer, always with a desperate situation. She laughed. "You're the prayer missionary. You're supposed to need prayer." We talked a few minutes then she said, "You should start another blog. Call it the High Maintenance Missionary" and talk about being a missionary.

I'm not "high maintenance" because I have a lot of needs or demands or even wants, but because I have such a desire for answered prayer. When the need's too great for me, I "need" others to pray because I have such a craving for God to move. I think it's a good kind of "high maintenance". 

The very thought of writing a third blog made me shudder, but I want to tell you about my sweet missionary day yesterday, and the answered prayer I believe we'll receive.

There were the usual emails, phone calls, and writing, but there was also something wonderful.

I spoke at Calvary Baptist Church's Senior Friends group and it was the most fun I've had in a while. I was a part of Calvary for more than 20 years, and I still am, in my heart. We're family. 

Yesterday, we had a big family reunion, but it was more than that. God had gone before me and orchestrated the entire day. The devotional, the music, the facilitator's words, and my presentation all flowed together to present one solid theme. "No matter how old you are, you still have something to give, because prayer is the most important work of all."

As soon as Dick Guyton started speaking, my friends on either side of me turned my way. "Oh, this is so God." We couldn't stop grinning. It was evident God was about to do something beautiful. And He did.

We all left challenged. Empowered to make a difference. Connected to the body of Christ at large. Ready and willing to do something that matters.

Before we left, we did do something that matters. I talked about my upcoming Jordan trip and igniting the embers of faith again. 

"Who would like to see the fires of faith spread in a worldwide revival?" People raised their hands all around the room.

"No. I'm serious. Raise them high if you truly want worldwide revival." Too many hands to count went high in the air.

"Is that something God wants?" Heads began to nod. People called out their agreement. 

Of course that's something God wants.

"What does Scripture say about two or three people gathered together, praying for something that's God's will?'

One lady in the front called out, "He will do it." 

A holy hush fell over the room for a moment and a wave of hope flooded through me. 

He will do it.

We prayed. God answered.

We asked God to start a flame of revival that spreads around the world, and I believe we can count it done.

Revival is not often birthed into times of great prosperity or ease. I don't believe this coming revival will be birthed in ease, either, but I do believe it's coming, and I know it will be worth it.

This morning, I had an email from a friend who's on mission in Africa right now. "Saw 1030 patients yesterday with ~ 500 people receiving Christ." 

Today, let's join in the work of God by praying He begins His revival in us. "Forgive us. Cleanse us. Make us usable, Lord, then put us to work in the fields that are already white for harvest."

Revival is on its way. Let's live ready.

"You may ask Me for anything in My name and I will do it." John 14:14 niv
__________________
Please like and share. It greatly extends my digital reach.

In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: Where I'm Going, What I'm Doing, and How You can Participate

This ministry is so much more than a blog. Speaking. Teaching. Hands-on outreach. Connecting with and encouraging missionaries around the world. It's only possible because of the generosity of your support. 

Together, we're making progress, but help is still needed. (I don't get a salary until this ministry is funded) If God has called you to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 or you can mail your  check or money order to:
Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#prayer 

No comments:

Post a Comment