Thursday, February 16, 2017

Following The Rabbit Trail to God's Glory


When I visited Jerusalem a few years ago, the main thing I wanted to do was go to the Western Wall ("wailing wall") to pray. There were more people there than I'd expected, congregated inside the make-shift walls, praying. People had written prayers on scraps of paper to stick inside the cracks between the stones because it's the back wall of the Holy of Holies. 

I had my prayer written and ready, too, as if sticking it in between giant stones would somehow gain a greater effect than speaking directly to my Heavenly Father.

The Ark of the Covenant, with the Mercy Seat on top, was housed in the Holy of Holies. The Glory of the Lord rested on the Mercy Seat. 

When people go to pray at the wall, in a way, they're seeking to get as close to the glory of God as possible on this earth. (I'm not saying that's what they find, but what they seek.) 

This morning, there's an issue about which I need wisdom. "I need to seek God's face on this," I thought. 

In one of those very circuitous thought processes that some people call "rabbit trails," I thought of Moses speaking face to face with God, which made me think of the time he couldn't get in the tabernacle because of the glory of God, which made me think of the Holy of Holies... the Western Wall... you get the idea.

The verse from Colossians came to mind. "Christ in you, the hope of glory." (Colossians 1:27) I was reminded again that God's glory was made evident in Jesus Christ. 

If we want to experience His glory, we don't have to lean against an ancient wall or stick paper in its cracks. We need look no further than His Son.

In eternity, God's glory provides the light for heaven. That "light of the world" that's supposed to shine forth from us as believers is a little glimpse of the glory of God. When we allow God's grace to shine forth from us, we experience His glory and those on whom we shine His light do, too.

The rabbit trail I've been following this morning leads me right back to the problem with which I began... the need for wisdom, but I've encountered a bit of my answer along the way. If I want wisdom, and I do, I need to begin by looking to Christ, where I'll find both wisdom and the glory of God. 

If we need wisdom, let's be still long enough to hear from the One who spoke the world into existence. He still holds the stars in their constellations and keeps the planets spinning around the sun. He can handle whatever problem we encounter, and He has all the wisdom we need.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 
______________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The Fish That Did What Mere Words Could Not
This ministry of prayer and outreach (digital and in-person) is only possible because of the generosity of your support. Together, we're making progress, but help is still needed. (I don't get a salary until this ministry is funded) If God has called you to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 or you can mail your  check or money order to:
Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment