Monday, January 23, 2017

The Laundry Chute Pile-Up


You might think, from the photo, that I'm writing about riding a camel. Sorry. I'm not. I used the camel picture because I was ashamed to put a photo up of today's topic.

Dirty laundry.

When I got home from church yesterday, I intended to change into something soft and comfy. To my surprise, there were no clean jeans in my closet. No leggings in the drawer. No sweatshirts. No socks. On and on.

I had a crisis of dirty laundry. On a Sunday.

I never do laundry on Sunday because I want to honor the Sabbath, and because I need the rest. Yesterday, however, I didn't have an ox in the ditch, but I did have a laundry chute that was shockingly full, and an empty sock drawer.

When I change clothes, I dump the soiled ones down the chute that goes from one of the upstairs bedrooms directly into a bin in the laundry room. It's behind a closed door, so I have to be intentional about checking it. 

I hate to admit this, but, when I opened the door yesterday, the laundry was nearly head high. That's not as big a pile as it seems, because its a very small chute, but it was still a lot of dirty clothes.

I loaded the washer with essentials.

I tell this because I sometimes treat sin this way. Let it pile up, instead of dealing with it right away. Before I realize it, I've accumulated a minor mountain of sin and it impacts my relationship with Christ. We probably all do this.

Instead, we're intended to keep short accounts with the Lord. Confess. Repent. Receive cleansing. It's a continuous process that keeps our hearts clean and allows communication to flow between us and our Heavenly Father.

Today, let's check our sin-chute. Have we allowed a pile-up to accumulate? Let's deal with it now, and start this week fresh. 

Confess. Repent. Receive cleansing. 

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 nasb
__________________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's blog: The Presentation of Splendor.
For those who have had a hard time downloading the James study to their phones, I've divided it into separate blog posts, and you can access it that way. Links are embedded. You won't need the BLB app, but you will need the electronic copy to have the links, even if you print it. Go to Lessons in Discipleship
If you'd like to participate in the James study, here's how: More than Enough: Living a Life Worth Living

If you'd like to help support this ministry, here's the link to give: Global Outreach Acct 4841
#Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment