Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The 25 Cent Tulips and The Crying Lady


Going to the grocery store is usually a great way to connect with people. I met my friend, Tori, in Kroger last night. We had a lovely visit about the work God has given us to do, the friends for whom we were cooking, our menus, and our lifestyles now that we both live alone.

Tori had tulips in her basket that were beautiful. I commented on them. "They're on sale for 25 cents apiece. You should buy yourself some tulips."

I headed to the flower section and found buckets of tulips in multiple colors. I joined the other ladies selecting flowers and soon had a dozen not-yet-open tulips in my "bouquet bag".

At the checkout counter, a woman stepped into line behind me. She looked like she was about to dissolve into weeping. I watched her blink back tears. She caught me watching her, so I smiled and thought briefly about how to cheer her up. I should have considered my words just a few seconds longer.

This wasn't the most sensible thing I could've said, but I glanced toward my flowers and said what Tori had said. "They're on sale for 25 cents apiece. You should buy yourself some tulips."

She just stared at me, blinked back more tears, then lowered her head and looked away.

I felt terrible. I wished I'd said, "I've cried in the grocery store, too. But Jesus helped me." But I didn't, and the moment slipped away.

I've thought about her and her little basket with the food for one ever since. Wherever that crying lady is this morning, I hope she found The Comforter who will dry her tears.

Jesus would've handled that situation better. He'd have offered living water that will quench her thirst and never run dry. He'd have offered comfort, and healing for her hurt, and hope that, no matter what the problem she faced, He was bigger.

Today, let's look for the one who is hurting. The one blinking back tears. The one who is hopeless. Look for the one who needs Jesus and when you find them, offer them something better than flowers on sale. Offer them the only One who can heal everything they face. Give them Jesus.

"Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
_______________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's blog: The Kind of Protest I Choose
For those who have had a hard time downloading the James study to their phones, I've divided it into separate blog posts, and you can access it that way. Links are embedded. You won't need the BLB app, but you will need the electronic copy to have the links, even if you print it. Go to Lessons in Discipleship
If you'd like to participate in the James study, here's how: More than Enough: Living a Life Worth Living
If you'd like to help support this ministry, here's the link to give: Global Outreach Acct 4841
#Jesus 

No comments:

Post a Comment