Friday, November 18, 2016

Working Together To Get the Job Done


Last week, I spoke at a nearby nursing home and invited the residents to participate in praying for missionaries.

Most of the people accepted a missionary card, but one elderly lady was hesitant. "I don't know," she told me.

"What's your hesitation?"

"It's a big job. I can't remember much of anything. I can hardly remember to come to breakfast. What if I forget to pray?"

"You'll have your card, and you won't be the only one praying. I'll be praying, too. I have lots of people who will pray."

"Okay, then. As long as I'm not the only one. That's too big a responsibility for me." 

The lady's words have come back to me over and over again. "It's too big a responsibility for me." She's right. Praying for the work of God through our missionaries is a huge task, but we can work together to get the job done.

An easy way to join in is to take one continent at a time. Go to the Global Outreach website and hover your cursor over "our missionaries", then click on the continent of choice in the drop-down section. Pick an area of the world and pray for those missionaries listed on the web page.

Today's my African day. I'll pull the prayer cards for missionaries in Africa and pray for them by name. Tonight, my supper club will have ground nut stew, a recipe a former missionary to Nigeria gave me. We'll go through my cards and pray for them by name again. 

It's the way I taught my son about missions when he was small. We cooked and ate our way around the world, praying for missionaries as we went. 

You can do it, too. It's a fun way to join in the effort by praying for missionaries and learning a little about their country at the same time.

Intercessory prayer IS a big responsibility, but it's not too big if we work together. How about you? Today, look for an innovative way to join in. We can make a difference, if we will. 

"And He said to them, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.'" Luke 10:2 esv
______________
(Missionaries, feel free to share a recipe for your continent's turn.)
If God leads you to help support this ministry outreach, here's the link to give: Global Outreach Acct 4841 
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: Choosing a Grateful Heart in the Midst of a Grumbling Culture
#missions #prayer #globaloutreach



No comments:

Post a Comment