Monday, November 21, 2016

Finding My Heart of Thanksgiving Again: Forgiven


November is usually a lovely time on social media. People post daily about the things for which they're grateful. We see photos of children, extended family, co-workers, home, and treasured activities. It's one of my favorite months. 

Usually.

This month, however, has not been so cordial. I've failed at posting thanks-filled words, too, so I'm not casting stones. Instead, I'm starting fresh and posting something about gratitude every day until Thanksgiving. Yes, it's only four days, but at least I've found my thankful heart again. 

My favorite Bible character, other than Jesus, is Enoch. I'm grateful for his simple witness. His story is pretty compact. After his son, Methuselah, was born, Enoch turned to God. For three hundred years, he walked with God. 

After my son was born, I turned to God in a brand-new way, too, so I like to think I'm just a little like Enoch.

What we know is that Enoch was there and then he was gone. God took him to heaven. No long, lingering death. No sickness. He stepped from this world into heaven with no warning or fanfare. Bam. He was gone to his heavenly home. That's how I'd like to live, and definitely how I'd like to go.

I had forgotten that Enoch is also mentioned in Jude. He prophesied about God's judgment against those who have done ungodly deeds in an ungodly way, and have spoken harsh things against Him. 

Jude makes it clear. These ungodly speakers are "grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly..." (Jude 16)

I don't know about you, but that struck a little close to home. Today, I'm repenting of my grumbling, fault-finding, and all the rest. I'd rather be like Enoch than like the ones he prophesied against.

That brings me to my point of gratitude today:


I'm grateful for forgiveness.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

No matter what we've done or said, we can repent (admit we're wrong, apologize to God, and determine to stop doing it). God will not only forgive us, but He will also cleanse our heart as if we'd never sinned at all. If that miracle is not enough to rock our world, I don't know what is.

Today, let's stop, admit our grumbling, ask for forgiveness, and start fresh. Let's find our hearts of gratitude again. 

We live in a beautiful world. We have a good nation, despite its problems. We are blessed more than most of the world's population. We have lots for which we can, and should, give thanks. 

Make a start today. For what are you grateful? Comment below. I'd love to hear words of gratitude the rest of this month. Go...
_____________
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: When What We Need is a Divine Pruning to Restore Order to Our Lives
If God leads you to help support this ministry outreach, here's the link to give: Global Outreach Acct 4841
#thanksgiving


No comments:

Post a Comment