Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Why I Didn't Watch the Presidential Debate and What I'm Going to Do About It




I didn't watch the debates last night.

Maybe I should have, but I didn't. I have a TV but I don't have cable or satellite. That's because I'm less of a TV person than I am a cat person. I'm pretty sure my big TV still works, because I turn it on for a minute every few months, just to be sure.

My TV wasn't the reason I didn't watch the debate, though; it was because I never do.

I prefer to skip all the rhetoric and analysis by commentators. I get the transcript of the debate afterward. Then, I check the facts. In this day of fake news sites, you have to be super careful, but it's still possible to get truth.

Truth.

It's a scare commodity these days, but let me remind you that there is a source for truth. The Bible. In fact, Jesus told us that He is the way, THE TRUTH, and the life. (John 14:6) If we want truth, we need look no further than Jesus.

When we compare the two candidates against THE TRUTH, JESUS, neither looks too great. However, when I compare my own life against THE TRUTH, JESUS, I don't look too great, either.

When I compare their words against THE TRUTH, JESUS, I'm not too impressed with the candidates, but, again, I don't always line up too well, either.

Yesterday, an interesting thing happened that may have quite an impact on the election process. I spoke at Traceway (a local assisted-living facility) about The Untapped Power Grid Project. We had a wonderful time together. As I do sometimes, I used my "prayer board" to demonstrate what I mean when I talk about praying for my Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the uttermost parts of the earth. 

I include Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in my Samaria, and pray for them regularly  I didn't intend for their pictures to make it into the stack of missionary prayer cards, but somehow they did. As I walked around the room, looking at the missionaries those great prayer warriors had chosen, I noticed one woman holding Hillary Clinton's picture. 

"Did you want a missionary card?" I asked.

"No. We'd better do something or we're in big trouble. I'm taking her."

She was right. Unless we do something significant, we're in big trouble. That "something" is not more rhetoric. It's not more bad mouthing. It's not more complaining. 

Check the facts for yourself, then get busy doing what must be done.

Repent. Pray.

Yep. Don't just pray. We must start with our own personal repentance. We have sin, too. Not just our candidates. Let's deal with our own faults before we take the faults of others to the Lord.

Once that big job is done, let's get serious about prayer. Combine it with fasting. I can't do this job on my own, but I'm willing to do my part. It's going to take all of us in the body of Christ, however. 

I hope you noticed how I've outlined my plan of action. I'm repenting and praying. Those two things are critical. In fact, I've already begun. 

But that's NOT all I'm doing. 

I'm also checking facts from reliable news sources. Well, as reliable as I can find. What I'm not doing is listening to a "talking head" to get my information. I don't want someone else's interpretation of facts. 

I just want facts, and I know I'll have to dig to get them.

We have a serious problem. Neither candidate is as politically, ethically, morally, (or any other way) as attractive as I'd like, but a choice will have to be made. Let's make a prayerful AND informed choice.

For the sake of the nation, please help.

There are two verses on which I rely. They were first spoken more than two thousand years ago, but their truth has not been diminished by time.

"If My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14 

"The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes." Proverbs 21:1 nasb

Whether they realize it or not, a nation depends on the body of Christ to do what we can do. Repent. Pray. Get informed. Make the wisest, most Godly choice we can. We will have to pray hard for the one who's elected, but that's a problem for November. 

Today, let's check the facts, then examine our own hearts, get right with God, and take our candidates to Him. 
________________
In case you missed the story of Sam's project, here's the link: Sam's Project: Rubber Boots for Barefoot Rwandan Children
If you'd like to give to help buy boots for the barefoot school children of Rwandan, you can go directly to the project page here: Help Sam's Kids. There's still a LONG way to go. I'll have an update later this morning.
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: Gory Gifts: The Biting Cat and the Decapitated Mole
#election2016 #pray


No comments:

Post a Comment