Friday, August 26, 2016

Salad Supper Sweetness


Last Saturday night was the long-awaited Hosea Saturday Salad Supper. I'm still savoring the sweetness of the evening.

The plan began to unfold when I wrote "THE END" on the Hosea study. My friend, Edith Wilhite, who is always ready for fun, suggested we have a party to celebrate. Saturday night, we finally did.

I had no idea how many people to expect, so I prayed that God would send the perfect number of people. He did. Literally. I laughed when I realized He had sent seven, which is (in Biblical numerology) the number of perfection. 

I'd planned to share a little Bible study, but it wasn't necessary. We taught ourselves as we shared what God had done, how He was moving, where He was leading. My leadership was superfluous because the Holy Spirit gave us all the leadership we needed. 

We ate. We laughed. We were silly. Serious. Impassioned. Determined. Joyful. Victorious.

Not everyone was acquainted before that evening, but everyone was family once they arrived. Deeply loved. Completely accepted.

We were the body of Christ at its best, and it was beautiful.

After everyone left, I sank into my big green chair and the dogs piled into my lap. I closed my eyes and savored the time we'd just had together. I chatted with the Lord about it, of course. "What a sweet night, Lord. We were family. I loved it." 

That Still, Small Voice in my heart whispered the sweetest thing. "You weren't just family. You were the church."

In case you've wondered, that's how "church" is supposed to be. Believers who may be different on the outside but are united by the Holy Spirit on the inside. Mutual respect. Deep love. Great joy. Celebrating the works of God in the lives of one another.

It's not all about having fun together, of course, but it should definitely be a part of our time together.

Something else happened last Saturday night, and I've been processing it all week. Some of the women knew about a problem that touches our area. I'd heard rumblings, but I hadn't heard a report from someone who knew more than rumors. That night, I did. 

When the church gets together and someone shares a need, we don't just talk about it. We don't just wish each other well. We ask God what to do. That's what I've done.

The issue is human trafficking. The problem worldwide is bigger than I thought. (Check back tomorrow to read more and find out how you can help.)

As I listened to those ladies talk about how our Lord was using them in the Kingdom of God, I couldn't help but wonder how different our world would be if we were all as involved. What if everyone in the body of Christ stepped up, reached out, did their part? How much suffering could be alleviated? How many broken lives could be made whole by the power of Christ?

We'll never know unless we all do what God has uniquely designed each of us to do. Today, let's ask ourselves two big questions.

What has God equipped me to do?
What will I do about it?

None of us can do all the things that are needed in this world, but we can all do one thing. Ask God what your "one thing" is and begin, today, to do it. 

We can make a difference, by the power of God, if we will.

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men." Colossians 3:23 esv

"and He said to them, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." Luke 10:2 esv
__________
Don't forget to share this blog post. If I've done my part well, those shares will help send the truth of God to our Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the uttermost parts of the earth.
__________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The Answered Prayer I'd Forgotten I'd Prayed
Here's the link to the prayer guide: The Prayer List
Here's the link to my Global Outreach page: Leanna Hollis M.D.

____________
#DailyDevotional #Jesus












No comments:

Post a Comment