Saturday, July 16, 2016

Mulch Is Not Enough



Weeds in my landscaping is one of my pet peeves, so a couple of weekends ago, I spent a day and a half pulling weeds and putting out fresh mulch. It looked wonderful. Fresh. Clean. Weed-free. The only plants that caught your eye were the ones I intended.

I rejoiced in my work and moved on to something else. Yesterday, when I was watering the garden and landscape, I realized that the weeds had begun to creep through again. 

Mulch is not enough.

Consistent weeding is a requirement of a weed-free garden.

After it cooled off, I weeded again.

The job wasn't enormous, but it was essential if I wanted pretty flower beds. 

Over the last few days, I've realized I've have a few weeds in my heart-garden and they marred the effect God had planned. Fear, pride, control, and busyness are the things that creep in most often, and I had to pull them up by the roots, again, lest they take over and choke out what God wants to do.

Listening to fervently-spoken sermons and spending hours in Bible study are not enough. Our sin has to go if we are to be all God intended.

Today, let's take a close look at the landscape of our heart. Are there weeds that need to be removed? Of course, there are. We are sinners who, even though we don't want to be, are bent toward sinning. 

Despite our sin-ward leaning, we can make a better choice. Let's pull those weeds of sin up by their roots so that the Word of God can grow and flourish in our lives. 

Our hearts, the garden of God.

"... and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." Isaiah 58:11 esv
_________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The Door of Hope is Still Open

#heartgarden #disciple #weeds #sin

2 comments:

  1. Boy, do I ever understand the battle with weeds - in my flower beds and in my heart!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Sherry! Some days, I'm a weed garden. Big battle required.

      Delete