Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Incredible Kindness That Broke My Heart


A most unexpected thing happened to me Sunday. I'm in a ladies' Sunday School class, but I've attended a "temporary" Mission Mindset class for the last eight weeks or so. That's why I wasn't in my regular class Sunday morning. 

I had just gotten to the sanctuary/worship center when a young woman from my ladies' class came up to me, carrying a cute green gift bag. 

Kacy is a beautiful, petite blonde who is a single mother to two small children. She's a faithful member of our class, and as sweet as can be. Like all young mothers, her life is busy and sometimes overwhelming.

"Miss Leanna, this is for you. I owe you an apology, and I want to tell you how sorry I am." She held out the bag to me.

I stared at her in confusion for moment. How could she possibly owe me an apology? I wasn't sure what to say, but I took the bag and thanked her.

My confusion was evident, I guess, because she explained. "I was insensitive and inconsiderate Friday night, and I'm so, so sorry. My little boy felt so bad about it that we wanted to make it up to you."

She was so sincere, so intent on making amends that I desperately searched my mind. What could she have done that I totally missed? I didn't know what to do. 

Finally, I admitted my confusion. "Kacy, thank you, but I don't know what you mean. When were you insensitive to me?"

She explained that she had been in charge of dessert for the Sunday School class party on Friday night. She and her boys made cookies. I saw them on the counter when we served our plates. They were so beautiful that I considered taking a picture of them to send to my son, and wondered how she'd made them. In fact, they were the most beautiful homemade cookies I'd ever seen. I wished I could make cookies that looked like that.

Not for a moment did I wish to eat the cookies. They weren't gluten-free, and I am. My mama had celiac disease and grieved for every cookie she couldn't eat. Not me. If it's gonna hurt my gut and give me brain-fog, I don't want it. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

Kacy said, "I never asked about food intolerances. I was supposed to bring dessert for everybody. Not for everybody but you." She felt she had left me out, and it had broken her heart. It broke the tender heart of her son when he learned about it, as well.

Her grief over what she perceived as a slight to me was so profound, it pierced my heart. I don't grieve over causing an insult like she does, and I'm ashamed of myself. I'm not as inclusive. Not as sensitive. Not as kind.

Her sorrow over causing a slight, her incredible kindness in an attempt to make amends, did more to change my heart than a fiery sermon ever could. 

I wept. And wept. And I've wept again this morning writing about this sweet woman and her tender heart.

She has the heart of God for others and she's teaching her children to have that same kind heart. I often say that, to the sweet, God shows Himself sweet. And He does. I think He must be awfully sweet to Kacy. I pray He is, for she's an example to us all.

Kacy and her boys got up early on Saturday morning. No cartoons. No dawdling in pajamas. They went to the store and searched for gluten-free cookies. Her son picked the vanilla sandwich cookies, the very pack of cookies I'd have picked for myself. 

They might be the best cookies I've ever eaten because they are coated in love and kindness. 

Kacy knows that, for the body of Christ to be unified, we have to include everyone. Even people like me, who makes including me more difficult because of my dietary intolerance. 

When I think of the verse, "Be kind to one another." I think of Kacy. She wants everyone to be a part of the rich blessings only Christ can give. I've learned an important lesson, and I hope I'll be more like Kacy going forward, because she's so much more like Jesus.

We could all learn a lesson from Kacy and the boys. Apologize freely. Love all. Include everyone. No matter how hard it is. 

"And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as Christ also has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32 nasb
__________

I need your help! 
The Clay Papers e-book is free on Amazon today and tomorrow (June 2 and 3). I'd like to give away at least 1,000 copies (well, I want to give away more than that, but I'm praying for 1,000) so please take a moment and "buy" it for free and ask all your friends to do the same. Here's the link: http://ow.ly/t6b4300Q6Qo

(The price has not been adjusted by Amazon as of 6/2 at 6:3 am, but I have contacted them and it should be corrected shortly.)

In case you missed it, here's the link for yesterday's post: Choosing Dirt
#kindness #bodyofChrist #disciple 

No comments:

Post a Comment