Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Totality of Trouble and Complete Deliverance


Any time you start a new project designed to honor the Lord, you can expect resistance from the enemy of our souls. The Hosea Bible study has been no exception. 

When I began work on the proposed study, it went quickly at the start, but the resistance soon started. I take it as a good sign that the study will make a difference in the lives of those who participate. The resistance, however, is frustrating and difficult.

One problem after another, from computer difficulties and internet connection problems to untimely trouble with septic systems to unexpected expenses, have arisen. 

There are probably some people who are more perfect and serene at working through these issues than I am, but I freely admit that I struggle. When the first trouble arose, I reminded myself that "Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world." (1 John 4:4) 

As time progressed, I remembered, "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

On Friday, I had such a plethora of pressures that I spent the afternoon and evening recalling, "Cast all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) 

There hasn't been much time for trouble-taming because I've been eyebrow-deep in Hosea, but I've spent my bit of spare time this weekend casting cares on the Lord. I've reviewed the ways He's cared for me in the past and all the victories I've seen Him win. 

This morning, I read about David's troubles when Saul chased and tried to murder him. It was terrible, and I doubt I could've survived it, but David persevered and God helped him. 

Saul complained that David was very cunning (1 Samuel 23:22) and, when I read that, I laughed out loud. In a way, it was God who was "very cunning" because He's the One who protected David from Saul.

We serve a creative, sometimes cunning, able-to-deliver God, as David learned over and over again.

David wrote about his troubles with Saul. His words are so appropriate for my own troubles that I thought they might be an encouragement to you today, too.

"Behold, God is my helper;
The Lord is the sustainer of my soul...
For He has delivered me from all my trouble;
And my eye has looked with satisfaction upon all my enemies."
psalm 54:4,7 nasdb

 You won't be surprised that I went to the Hebrew to be sure about that lovely word "all". It turns out that the phrase "all my trouble" means that God delivered from the totality of trouble. 

Everything about David's trouble was resolved. He will do that for me, too. He'll do that for you.

After David's deliverance was accomplished, he looked back "with satisfaction" for what God had done. 

Fully delivered. Completely satisfied.

That's how our God works. 

When troubles arise and cares assail us, casting those troubles and cares on Him makes the most sense of all. We might not be able to handle all that comes our way, but Our God can. 

And He will.
~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment