Friday, January 29, 2016

Cutting Down a Tree and Praying for Miracles



The topic of friends has been on my mind recently. I've been reading the book of Job and thanking God that I have a different set of friends than Job did. 

I had a Bradford pear tree that was overly tall and had begun to sway precariously in the wind. It needed to go, but I had never cut down a tree before. I'd considered trying to cut it down myself, but needed a tutorial before I attempted it.

I told a family friend about my plan and he just shook his head. "You don't need to try to cut down a tree. I'll cut it down for you."

Yesterday was the day. I watched as he applied chain saw to tree. About half-way through, he stopped and looked around. 

"I forgot my wedge. Can I use yours?"

"What's a wedge?"

"It's a wood-cutting tool that you use to make the tree fall the direction you want it to go."

"I've never heard of that. I'm pretty sure I don't have one."

"Hmmm."

The sawing had already reached the point of no return and the tree had begun to sway in my direction. Toward the house. 

"Would a rope help?" Maybe he could pull the tree in the right direction, I thought. (Obviously, I know nothing about cutting trees.)

He smiled. "Maybe."

I offered a length of rope and prayed that God would not let the tree hit my house, then went inside. It was easier not to watch.

When no crash came, I went back outside. The tree was on the ground and my friend was grinning like crazy. "Guess what happened?"

"Tell me."

"The tree was going toward the house. I couldn't seem to stop it, even with the rope tied around it. I was pulling like crazy, but it was tilting the other way. But you know how we prayed that God wouldn't let it hit the house? I prayed again that it wouldn't hit the house and asked God to help me and He did. A big breeze came up and blew the tree in the right direction."

It had missed my house, my car, and his truck. It had landed exactly where he had intended.

Was it a miraculous breeze, sent by God to direct the falling of the tree? I choose to think so.

I tell this story to remind us that we serve a God who sees us. He knows our needs, listens to our prayers, and responds to our distress. He never leaves us nor forsakes us. He helps us. He is with us to the end and provides for every need, even when what we need is a strong breeze to direct a falling tree.


"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! 
Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." 
Joshua 1:9 nasb
~~~~~~~~

In case you missed one of this week's posts, here are the links:  Mamie and the Ink StainThe Blizzard That Was Not,  The Truth That Matters Most: My Redeemer Lives, Truth That Matters: God Sees The Importance of LightA Little Good News: Working Together, and Things I've Learned: There is a God and I'm Not It.

Be sure to check out my new Amazon Author Page. You can follow me on Amazon.

#miracles #Christian #disciple #friends

9 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful story, Leanna. We can see God's miracles in the small things that happen every day, if we keep our eyes open. Not that a tree missing your house is a small thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Holy Right Mind is based on sharing and oneness and returning your mind back to the peace of God and out of the illusion of choice. This says that the error never occurred and you are still as God created you. Blog a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love covers working A course in miracles blog in the spiritual realm of man. The greatest miracle is that of a person receiving Christ Jesus as Lord and Savior and being born again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have this fruit being manifested and you are working a miracle it means that you are giving the love and the very life of God to someone through the preaching of the gospel. God wants all men to be saved and it is only through the preaching of the gospel that this can be done. So by speaking words of life to another through the preaching of the gospel of Christ you work a miracle in their spirit when they receive Jesus as Lord and Savior and are born again by the Spirit of God. Blog acim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never leave anything out, because I want a steady stream of wonderfully nice things happening to me 24/7.. Miracle B: The "Lucky" Miracle The second type of miracle is what some consider luck, good fortune or sheer coincidence. a course in miracles youtube videos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which is why it's so helpful to go about miracle making in the company of like-minded others. twitter a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want your printed Instagram photos and the ones that you keep digital to look the best they possibly can, leave the Instagram editing features behind and take advantage of these free apps. a course in miracles Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is your thoughts and beliefs combined with the decision, or choice, to make them true that becomes the effect of what you see in your world. The Law of Cause and Effect is very simple: According to the mind you choose from, as cause, you will see the corresponding effect. best a course in miracles podcast

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are many classes and courses of study based upon the philosophy of A Course in Miracles, and even specific classes on key Course concepts, such as True Forgiveness or Cause and Effect. a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete