Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The spirit of adoption

"For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out 'Abba! Father!" (Romans 8:14-15 NASB)

I'm still at Writing Conference. The last few days have been a whirlwind. In case you're wondering, the day starts with worship at 9 am, then classes until lunch, then more classes until the late afternoon, when there's a panel discussion that ends just in time for dinner. After the evening meal, there are "night owl" sessions. Meetings with agents, editors, and mentors are sandwiched in between all the classes and meals. 


It's been late when I've finally headed to my room, and even later when I've finally settled down after the excitement of the day. My head has been in a whirl, and so has my heart. 

After the last nine months of 12-14 hour days spent poring over my computer, writing up a storm, editing until I wept, and agonizing over just the right word, I'm finally pitching my story while trying to fine tune it. It's been a solitary life these last months, and the bustle and crowd this week have been a shock. 

Even more shocking has been this business of pitching my story in two sentences. Thirty seconds to tell what has taken most of a year to write. As a person of many words, the restriction of words frightens me. Pitching to people who could impact my future terrifies me.

When I read this passage, however, I'm reminded once again that there is no need to fear. As a daughter of God, I have not been given a spirit of fear, which enslaves me. The logical thing, the way of the world, might be to have, instead of fear, a spirit of courage, but that's not what God gives us. 

Are you ready for this? 

We don't need courage because we have been given a spirit of adoption.

That's counterintuitive to me. I want courage as I head to these meetings. I want to be bold and brave and strong, but courage and bravery and strength are a distant second to the great gift God has given me.

The spirit of adoption, as a child crying out Abba Father, changes everything.

The one in charge of my life and my future is not an agent or an editor. The one in charge of my life is God Himself, and He's my Daddy. He has a plan and it's good. Because God is my Father, I can count on Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." 

Our Father has a plan, and it is good.

There's no need to be afraid, because I want God's plan more than I want my own. The search is not for just any agent. The search is for the agent God wants for me, for God's plan, and that changes everything.

The truth that stuns me is that God's plan is not just for the big things like agents and editors and publishing companies. God's plan is epic in its expanse. Eternal in its duration. He is our life and breath. There is no need He's overlooked, no search He cannot solve. 

If you are searching for answers, turn to the One who is All-Knowing. Cry out to Abba Father, who doesn't give us fear. He gives us adoption, the most incredible gift of all.
~~~~~~~
Father, Thank you that you have a plan for us and it is good. Help us to walk as children of the King and follow Your path for our lives. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment