Sunday, June 28, 2015

More valuable than sparrows

"I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him! Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows. (Luke 12:4-7 NASB)

Jesus understood fear. When He began to talk about people killing the body, His disciples must have sat up and listened. People are going to kill us? Yes, Jesus seemed to say, people are going to kill you, but you don't have to be afraid of them. 

If there was ever a time to fear, it would be when someone is killing you. But no. Even then, there is no cause for fear. Why not? The disciples did not have to be afraid because they were precious to God. 

Sparrows were the cheapest, most worthless birds in the marketplace, yet God knows every one of them. Not even one of the tiny little birds is forgotten by God. He has known the birds and He continues knowing the birds. God remembers them and He does not forget them.

"God knows every hair on your heads," Jesus told the disciples. Those hairs are numbered. He knows every single one of them. 

Run your fingers through your hair. God knows about every single one of those hairs. If the hairs on our head are numbered by God, you can be sure He cares about every single one of us, too. 

That's what Jesus said. "You are more valuable than many sparrows, and God knows about every one of them." God is not just peripherally aware of us. He knows us. We are precious to Him. Valuable to Him. 

That knowledge is more than I can comprehend. Almighty God, Jehovah, Creator and Sustainer of the universe knows me, cares about me, treasures me. He knows, cares, and treasures you, too. There is never a time when He does not know us, care about us, treasure us. Regardless of what happens politically, socially, or professionally in our world, He still cares about us, still treasures us. Nothing escapes His eye. 

He loves us, but hard times will still come our way. Some of us will be persecuted. Some of us will give our lives for Christ. That doesn't change the fact that He loves us. He will be with us every step of the way. There is no need to fear because we do not go through hard times alone. El Shaddai, God Almighty, goes with us through every situation, every circumstance, every difficulty.
We are not alone.

Take comfort in those words. Whatever we face, wherever we are, we are not alone. So don't be afraid. Emmanuel. God is with us. 
~~~~~~~

O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off... Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me... (Psalms 139:1-2, 7-10 KJV)

Thank you, Lord, that You will never leave me nor forsake me. Thank you that You are with me in every circumstance. It's more than I can comprehend, but I praise You for Your presence. Help me to honor You with my life and let you lead me through the darkest places. In Jesus' name, Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment