Sunday, July 5, 2015

Confessing Jesus before Men: The I AM's

"And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. (Luke 12:8-9 NASB)

These two verses seem pretty simple, but there is a depth to them that is remarkable. The word translated as "confess" is a compound word from two words that mean "same" and "speaks". When we "confess" Christ before men, we say the same things about Him that He says about Himself. 

To enable us to speak accurately about Him, we have to know what Jesus said, and that requires that we study Scripture and know Who He is. John, in his gospel, records repeated "I am" phrases with which Jesus tells us about Himself. 

Bread of Life: Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst." John 6:35 NASB

Light of the world: " Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life." John 8:12 NASB

Door: "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." John 10:9 NASB

Good Shepherd: "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep." John 10:11 NASB

Resurrection and the Life: "I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in Me will live even if he dies..." John 11:25 NASB

Way, Truth, and Life: "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." John 14:25 NASB

Vine: "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me, you can do nothing." John 15:5 NASB

Over the next few days, we will look at all of these "I am's," but for today, let's do an overview. Read through each one of these verses. Look them up in the gospel of John and get to know the passages. Get to know Jesus in greater depth. 

In the midst of a troubled world where one crisis follows another, one act of unspeakable cruelty leaves us reeling before we've recovered from the one before, Jesus is still the same. He is still the only bread of life that satisfies the craving we have. He is still the only way to God. He is still the only vine that can make us fruitful. He is still I am.

In this world, we will have trouble, but take heart, for HE has overcome the world. (John 16:33)


~~~~~~~
Our Father, help me to know You more so that I can confess to the world who You are, telling others with my words and showing them with my life. In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment