Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Finding Home

The father of a dear friend and former coworker died this week and the visitation was this afternoon. When I arrived just minutes after it began, there were dozens of people in line. By the time I made my way out the door, there were what looked like hundreds standing quietly for their turn to pay their respects to a godly man and offer their love and support to the grieving loved ones. This family will miss him terribly, but they do not despair because they know where he is. He is home with Jesus and, one day, they will see him again. As I made my way through the line of family, one young woman said with joy, "He has no more pain!" His sweet wife, with whom he was inseparable, said, "He's in such a better place. I wouldn't wish him back!" He's spent a lifetime heading to his eternal home, and he's finally there. 

Across the street from the funeral home was a thin, weary man sitting on a bench in front of a church, a large plastic bag at his feet. It looked as if all his worldly goods were stored in that big white bag. A few blocks later, another tired looking young man sat on a park bench with a similar bag beside him, resting his head in his hands. There was no sign that said that they were homeless, but it certainly appeared to be so. 

It was an odd dichotomy. One elderly man has gone to his heavenly home. Two  tired men wait on benches for homes they have no idea how to find. I didn't stop. Maybe I should have, but I had no notion how to intervene for them. "Jesus, money won't help here," I said. Before I could pray further, I heard one thing so clearly. "I am the way, the truth, and the life," Jesus said.  "No man comes to the Father except through Me."  (John 14:6)

Ah, I thought, I do know how to help, and began to pray that God would send His messenger to be the hands and feet of Christ to them, to meet their current needs, and show them the way to their one true home.

Home.

What a lovely word, made even more lovely by the knowledge that our Lord is there! One day, I hope to see you there, too.  

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. (John 14:6 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment