Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blending Laughter


The box of chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks came with directions right on the box. "Blend with laughter," it said. Somehow, I had overlooked this when I put the box in the freezer. When I pulled them out today, I saw it and laughed out loud. My first thought was how funny it would be to order laughter from Penzey's. (My online spice source). 

A little later, I stopped by the post office to mail a package. Well, I had what I was going to mail. I just needed the package part. I was equipped with strapping tape, so the task of putting a small item in the smallest priority box should not have been a problem. I went to the desk with my box-to-be and started to fold it into shape. For some reason that is not yet clear to me, when I connected the left side of the box, the right side came loose. When I stopped to connect the right side, the left came loose. I was so surprised! It was like the box was alive and hopping loose from every direction. The postman was also very surprised, so he tried to help. Together was no better than by myself. The box found more ways to flip apart than either of us could contain. All that flipping somehow flipped my giggle box, too. I started laughing, and pretty soon I was laughing so hard I could hardly breathe. Before I knew it, I was laughing so hard I was crying. The really good news is that the postman was laughing almost as hard as I was. Neither of us could talk because we were laughing so hard. All the time we were laughing, that crazy box was flipping and coming disconnected. It was awful. Finaliy, the postman got the box perfectly assembled. All I needed to do was put my item in the box and seal it. Unbelievably, when I put my item in the box, it popped apart again, even though he was holding it! That triggered more laughter and by this point I was doing a pretty good hyena imitation. (Truthfully, even as I type this, I am laughing like crazy). We had to do the whole box assembly thing again. 

At long last, the item was in the box and the postman was holding the box carefully together. All that was needed was to pull the protective paper off the glue strip and seal it up. Of course, I slipped my fingernail under the edge of that paper and it shredded like I was making slaw! I'm not going to belabor it any more, but it was a Keystone Kops operation to get it strapped down, complete with more uncontrollable laughter.  I desperately tried to regain my composure and some semblance of my dignity (After all, I am an elected official in this town!) but without success. I was still laughing when I drove out of the parking lot. It was the most fun I've ever had at the post office!

When I returned home, I saw the Blend with laughter" box again, and thought, "That's exactly what I did. I blended my day with laughter!" 


"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." (Proverbs 17:22 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment